Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"My Mother, Whom I Love Dearly"

Ten years ago my father was the victim of a robbery that ruined completely
his business. Since then I am the only financial support that my family has
in Colombia. A few years later my father died during the process of buying a
new house. He had to sell his home because the city remodeled the streets.
I traveled to Colombia for my fathers and offered to continue helping my
mother, but I explained to her how difficult it would be for me to pay my
rent, my expenses and theirs. It would be easier for me to cover the
expenses if we bought a house. I explained my preoccupation with being
the only support. Despite having agreed with me, my mother didn’t want to
buy the house because the money we had saved up wasn’t enough to
purchase the one in the area she wanted.
My mother never understood the reasons for why we couldn’t buy in the
area she wanted and that it had to be in a less affluent neighborhood. She
never fully grasped that our economic situation had changed and that my
father was no longer with us, and that I was struggling to help them. I lost
my job and with passing time it became harder and harder to help them
because she would use the money that my father had left us.
This was very difficult for me to accept because if my mother would’ve
listened to me, I would’ve been able to achieve my goal of buying a house.
At this moment I’m trying to understand and accept her the way she is.
Again, I am trying a new plan to get ahead and help my mother, who I love
dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment